29 November 2014

Delivery of a stock used Nissan/Datsun L18 engine...1974 Datsun 160J SSS KP710 Violet Turbo

It's a beautiful Saturday morning. Yesterday the used Nissan L18 engine arrived. I had gone to several used car parts yards before finding this unit. It was a private sale unit as it belonged to one of the shop owners. My conclusion was that the L18 is quite rare today in 2014 in this city of mine here in Malaysia.






My reason for buying another used L18 engine was that it actually shares the world famous L18 block and crank forging with the LZ18. Yes, but the L18 fully counterweighted(some would say,"more counterweighted" instead of full) crankshaft only has five smaller flywheel bolt holes. I plan to dowel the flywheel to the crank and find suitable ARP flywheel bolts for it.







I may even rebuild back my LZ18 with this crankshaft suitably balanced in Kuala Lumpur. It's a contingency plan I have :-).







Also, on another note, coffeeshop friends have told me that a machining shop was reputed to have stock of many of these L18 crankshafts. The shop attendant's reply was that they would call me back when they have located the right crank in their warehouse.




No comments:

Post a Comment