31 October 2014

Rare ribbed rear plastic finisher plate for the 1974 Datsun 160J SSS KP710 Violet Turbo.

Been on my mind after seeing this at the rear of the Violet Turbo.

Figure 1
Holes at the rear of this boot lid jolted my memory somewhat and  to go lookup the Web for "what's missing?"

What do you know? Some plastic piece between the rear lights. The piece that decorates and covers around the rear boot keyhole. And this piece is unique to the 1974 Coupe model. Indeed will be a tough challenge looking for one?

Now that I know what to look for, I began to discover some finer points about the 1974 KP710 Violet 160J SSS from browsing online...1975 or later models have variations of that plastic plate...

Ever tried finding a 1974 Datsun 710 160J SSS (Coupe model) rear finisher plate? eBay was to no avail nor any of the sites in the USA nor UK. Japan? tried my best to wander through some of their sites using Google translate but without apparent success.

The joy of searching for old parts started this morning when I decided to visit a used car parts dismantler. I was looking for that rather difficult to find piece of plastic.

No chance!

The year is 2014, the part is 1974 made. In my mind I knew this was a piece that came together with the car when I saw it in 1993.

And voila! checking again some old places, I found it!

Figure 2
Found it! In good preserved condition that just needed cleaning.
And thus ended another episode of rebuilding the Violet Turbo. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment